Tuesday, April 5, 2011

5/4/11 La Casa Salvadora

My alarm clock is roosters. Real ones. Not like the techo farm animal alarm on my last phone. They wake up before sunrise, which is 530 AM down here where they don’t observe daylight savings time.  It works out fine actually because I can’t figure out how to change the time zone on my iPhone and my ability to remember that it is on EDT every morning is much less reliable.
Today was uneventful; just explored the town a bit, so I’ll talk about the house where I stay. I STILL haven’t figured out how many people actually live in la casa Salvadora. There are at least three children and three adult women, a husband and plus or minus one other brother, and I am NOT sure where they all sleep since as far as I can tell there are only two other bedrooms and a den in this place. Salva, her sister and their mother, also named Salvadora, run the house. The children’s parents are...well I’m not actually sure who their parents are to be honest or if they are even related. I asked Andy, the young boy, how many people live here and he said even HE didn’t know! (Though some of that may have gotten a little lost in translation.)
For now I know that Salva’s sister does the cooking for us and that they own a restaurant on the beach that is supposed to be pretty good. I told her that I can’t eat meat hasta la Pascua. Luckily I’m in a Catholic country so she didn’t look at me like a freak, and served up a plate of arroz y frijoles without question.
After my walk yesterday I came home and met Stella, a Harvard Medical student staying in the room next door. She filled me in on the water situation, the clinics and some other useful info about staying here, like that the power gets shut off by the government every day from 7 AM until early afternoon. Awesome.
Ahora vamos a la cantina. Apparently at “la Iguana” ladies drink free four nights a week. ¡Qué bueno!

No comments:

Post a Comment