Wednesday, April 13, 2011

13/4/11 La Playa

The beaches here are beautiful, sparsely populated and relatively untouched by tourists. Playa Hermosa, where Survivor Nicaragua was filmed, is nearby San Juan. By nearby I mean 30 minutes of hilly and rocky terrain away. The roads to the beaches are through the mountains and are generally only accessible with four wheel drive and I can’t see how they are accessible at ALL during the rainy season. Nicaragua has few paved roads. Resorts are being built along the way to the remote beaches, and the investors apparently have to bribe the government to lay down pavers in the areas where they are building. I feel like I came at just the right time to appreciate the beaches before there are hordes of tourists!
The beaches near San Juan are some of the best in the world for surfing, which I attempted to do but pretty much only managed to paddle out and then fall off of the board. I think it still counts though! I went horseback riding on the beach at sunset. The sunsets are amazing! It is VERY windy here, which means I leave with more of the beach on me then I leave behind, but there is nothing better than laying out on a beach with no one else in sight! I could definitely get used to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment